Nearly two-dozen wineries and vineyards have change hands in the past two years in the Paso Robles American Viticultural Area (AVA), according to a recent analysis by Pacifica Wine Division.
Five wineries were sold in 2013-14 at an average price of $3.2 million. The sizes of the winery properties varied from 15 to 54 acres and were small to mid-sized in production. The wineries sold were Berardo Vineyard & Winery, Edward Cellars, Chumeia Vineyard, Eagle Castle Winery and Veris Cellars. The largest transaction was Eagle Castle Winery at $4.86 million. It included a 25-acre parcel, 11-acre vineyard, two residences, a 7,900-square foot tasting room and hospitality building, and a 13,000-square foot winery building.
Over the same period, there were 18 vineyard transactions at an average price of $2.24 million. The average property sold was 54.8 acres with an average planted vineyard of 23.8 acres. The largest transaction was 5225 Buena Vista Dr. at $8.5 million. It included 342 acres, four separate parcels, 126-acre pistachio farm, 92.5-acre vineyard, 40 acres of pomegranates, 46 acres ready to plant, a 3,279-square foot home, 7,200-sqaure foot out building with processing area and refrigerated storage.
The vineyards sold over the last two years total about 400 acres, which is a fraction of the 32,000 vineyard acres in the Paso Robles AVA. The region has more than 200 bonded wineries.
“The majority of winery and vineyard sales over the last two years have been dominated by asset-only and distressed sales,” says Newlin Hastings with Pacifica Wine Division. But with prices averaging around $20,000-plus per acre, the local vineyards are still an attractive investment compared to prices in Napa Valley and Sonoma that are running $50,000 to $100,000 per acre.
Since the 2010 sale of Justin Vineyards and Winey, there have not been many acquisitions of a brand with a wine club and solid business value. Justin and Debbie Baldwin sold their 160-acre property to Roll Global, which is owned by billionaires Stewart and Lynda Resnick. The land and winery were sold for $21 million according to the San Luis Obispo County Auditor-Controller’s office, but that does not include the value of the business.
The future of winery and vineyard sales in Paso Robles
Pacifica Wine Division is seeing more interest in the Paso Robles AVA from Napa Valley and Sonoma area investors. Higher prices per acre in Northern California are starting to trickle down to Paso Robles, which will mean more transactions in 2015.
“We are seeing less distressed inventory and expect some new properties to emerge as the current owners were waiting to see a slight pick up in values,” says Paul Shannon of Pacific Wine Division. “We expect to see a few asset-only purchases in the coming year but also to see an increase in the purchase of wineries with brand value,” he said.
With a three-year drought upon Paso Robles, good water supply will be one of the biggest factors for winery and vineyard transactions going forward.
Summary of wineries sold in 2013-14*
- Eagle Castle Winery, 3090 Anderson Rd, Paso Robles, 7/23/14, $4,860,000
- Veris Cellars, 1266 N. Bethel Rd, Templeton, 8/12/14, $3,900,000
- Edward Cellars , 1385 W Highway 46, Paso Robles, 7/19/13, $2,750,000
- Berardo Vineyard & Winery, 3280 Township Rd, Paso Robles, 9/19/14, $2,316,775
- Chumeia Vineyard, 8331 E Highway 46, Paso Robles, 11/13/13, $2,279,000
Summary of vineyards sold in 2013-14*
- 5225 Buena Vista Dr. Paso Robles, 11/20/13, 8,500,000
- 5160 Indian Valley Rd, San Miguel, 4/24/12, $3,400,000
- 3880 Las Tablas Willow Creek, Paso Robles 7/24/13, $3,100,000
- 1205 Willow Creek, Paso Robles, 9/20/13, $2,400,000
- 7070 Feenstra Rd, Paso Robles, 1/24/14, $2,375,000
- 3015 Gates Field Rd, Templeton, 11/21/13, $2,222,000
- 1785 Wellsona Rd, Paso Robles, 10/28/14, $2,005,000
- 1924 Arbor Rd, Paso Robles, 7/13/14, $1,950,000
- 175 White Hawk, Templeton, 6/28/13, $1,657,500
- 1855 Twelve Oaks, Paso Robles, 5/1/13, $1,630,000
- 2110 Township Rd, Paso Robles, 5/31/13, $1,625,000
- 7598 Creston Rd, Paso Robles, 6/28/13, $1,657,500
- 3432 Las Tablas Willow Creek Road, Paso Robles 9/30/14, $1,575,000
- 845 Windwood rd, Paso Robles, 11/21/14, $1,491,750
- 2929 Creston Ridge Lane, Paso Robles, 7/31/13, $1,265,000
- 4925 Bluebell Lane, Paso Robles, 9/12/14 , $1,237,000
- 7010 Wilderness, Paso Robles, 10/18/13, $1,200,000
- 2815 Ridge Rd, Paso Robles, 5/15/14, $1,000,000
* Disclaimer: This information is correct to the best of our knowledge and data gathered but Pacifica Wine Division will not held liable for any false or misleading information.